Night of the Breakfast Klub. (Cyberpunk 2020 Campaign)
Night City. It’s a dump, but it’s my dump. I’ve been an edge runner for the past decade. I took a few rounds when I was in the Army, got discharged without even a thank you. To make ends meet I started taking a few jobs until I could pay for some chrome. Now I’m better than ever and pulling in credits faster than I can spend them. That’s a first. The city is teeming with millions of people, and what feels like millions of criminals. Gang bangers, corporates, thugs, and other scum are out there trying to scrape every last cred off every last walking corpse. What do I care, I get my cut?
So much for the open, clean city this place started out as in the 90’s. I’ll just keep my head down, grab the good jobs, and enjoy the exciting life. I love this town, and as it’s said, “nobody leaves Night City, unless it’s in a body bag.”Scottie Gauge – Solo
Cyberpunk 2020 is a near future alternative universe. Economic woes, lawlessness, crime, corruption and chrome are hallmarks of this setting. This CP2020 games takes place in the standard 2020 setting using the fictional city of NIght City in California. This game will require at the minimum, ownership of a basic Cyberpunk rulebook. The rulebook can be obtained from Datafortress 2020 at this link. http://datafortress2020.com/
The State of the Nation
The state of the nation is the same as the CP2020 rule book. There is a great deal of turmoil and a degradation of society. People are more nihilistic, life is less valuable, and scaping together a living is much more difficult. Crime is more rampant that anyone’s wildest dreams of the 1980s. Different regions in the country will potentially have different laws and rules. What may be legal in one part of North America and seen as normal, may get you shot and killed in another part.
While there are many technological advances that are beyond our current technology, there are also many technologies that may seem quite antiquated. In order to make the game smooth to run, the book technology will be what is used..
Weapons in this game are can be obtained from current and past weapons manufacturers. Damage, accuracy, and reliability will be determined by the GM upon choosing a weapon. Players will pay the MSRP price of the weapon. Do not use gun dealer websites (Bud’s Gun Shop for instance) for prices as they are lower than the manufacturer’s MSRP. This is to keep it easy to buy firearms and reduce any confusion. A list of a few modern manufacturers will be located here.
Weapons laws in many areas are different than what they are currently today. Laws like the National Firearms Act of 1934 no longer exist. Fully Automatic weapons can be more easily obtained. Although, walking around town with a belt fed machinegun will still draw a lot of attention and maybe even some quality time with the Night City SWAT team.
Vehicles will be purchased similarly to weapons. Players will find a vehicle they want online and then purchase that vehicle for MSRP. Most players will not be able to purchase a new vehicle starting out, but used vehicles can be purchased to get players from point A to B. Prices on used cars will have a depreciated value. The cheaper the car, the older the car most likely is.
Use the standard CP2020 rulebook for creating characters. The random method of character creation will be used. Players will roll 9d10 and add up the total for distribution to each stat. You can then create your character as you see fit as long as you are not going above the maximum stat. Munchkin characters are ok, as there will always be someone, or something better than you.
The Role of your character are chosen from the book. They are listed below to get you thinking about what you might want to play. You can also make up your own character role and your own special ability with the GM’s approval. The skill has to be distinct from already existing skills and actually useable within the game to be approved. Although, if the skills is that dumb, I might allow it just for my own amusement.
- Solo-Hired assassins, bodyguards, killers, soldiers.
- Rocker-Rebel rockers who use music and revolt to fight authority
- Netrunner-Cybernetic computer hackers. (PC netrunners can have a significant impact on the game and pacing, contact the GM if you really want to play one. Otherwise, hire one if you need one)
- Media-News people and reporters who go to the wall for the truth, or make their own truth.
- Nomad-People that roam the less populated portions of the country, travel the highways with their “family” in large caravans.
- Fixer-Deal Makers, Smugglers, Organizers and information brokers. (Need to sell a fusion powered toaster? I know a guy.)
- Cop-Maximum lawmen on the mean 21st century streets.
- Techie- Renegade mechanics and people who can turn a toaster into a fusion reactor in a few hours.
- Medtechie- You will need one of these when a solo blows your face off in a parking spot argument at the nearest Walmart at 2AM.
- Corporate-Company men and women, working to carve out their own little empires within the current financial system.*